Carbon monoxide interferes with the distribution of oxygen in the blood to the rest of the body. Depending on the amount inhaled the gas can impede coordination, worsen cardiovascular conditions, and produce fatigue, headache, weakness, confusion, disorientation, nausea, and dizziness. High levels can cause death
The symptoms are sometimes confused with the flu or food poisoning, Infants, elderly, and people with heart and respiratory illnesses are particularly at high risk for the adverse health effects of carbon monoxide.
An estimated 1000 people die each year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning and thousands of others end up in the hospital emergency rooms.